Weekly School Announcements
First Day Of School 2022-2023PS 59 (31R059) - The Harbor View School
Welcome to PS 59 - Homecoming NightPS 59 (31R059) - The Harbor View School
Rosh Hashanah, schools closedPS 59 (31R059) - The Harbor View School
Yom Kippur, schools closedPS 59 (31R059) - The Harbor View School
Italian Heritage / Indigenous Peoples' Day, schools closedPS 59 (31R059) - The Harbor View School
Parent Teacher Conferences & Early Dismisal
Afternoon and Evening Parent-Teacher Conferences for elementary schools; Early Dismissal 11:20amPS 59 (31R059) - The Harbor View School
Family Feedback is very important to us, please let us know how its going?
School Year 2022-2023 Admissions Information
- Admissions for SY 2022-2023
- Middle School information: http://www.theharborviewschool.org/middle_school_information
- Kindergarten Information: http://www.theharborviewschool.org/registration_and_enrollment
- Pre-K 4 & Pre-K : www.myschools.nyc
- All siblings and Pre-K families will receive priority during the admissions process for our school.
School Polices & Procedures
Arrival and Dismissal Information for School Year 2021-2022
- Our school day is from 8:00am-2:20pm. Any student that arrives after 8:00am, must enter through the main entrance with their parent/guardian. The parent/caregiver must escort their child inside of the building and complete a late pass located at the security desk. The child will then be escorted by a school staff member to their classroom.
- Please remember to have your child’s NYC DOE health screening completed every morning and show confirmation on an electronic device (i.e. phone / ipad) or print out paper confirmation and give it to staff when entering the school grounds.
- Our school doors for Kindergarten through 5th grade morning arrival open at 7:45am and close at 8:00am:
- Kindergarten & 2nd Grade - Enter through door 3 (side entrance left of main entrance - ferry side)
- 1st Grade - Enter through door 2 (side entrance right of main entrance - schoolyard side)
- 3rd, 4th & 5th Grade - Enter through door 1 (main entrance)
- Our school doors open for 3-K & Pre-K students at 7:55am. Parents/Caregivers will escort their child into the building through the playground entrance. This door will close at 8:05am.
Dismissal/Early and Late Pick Up:
- Our school day ends at 2:20pm.
- Students will be escorted by their teachers to their designated cohort area in the school yard beginning at 2:15pm.
- Caregivers should enter the schoolyard through the Richmond Terrace or St. Peter’s Entrance and wait near their cohort area to pick up their child. Please remember to wear your face masks on school grounds.
- Changes in Dismissal: Refrain from frequently changing your child’s dismissal routine. This confuses the child and increases the risk of errors in your child’s dismissal. We understand that occasionally this cannot be avoided, so we ask that you send a note to the teacher informing them of the change of dismissal. ALL CHANGES IN DISMISSAL MUST BE MADE IN WRITING. NO EXCEPTIONS. In the event of an emergency, please follow these steps:
- Call the main office at 718-390-2190 x0
- Follow-up with an email (email@example.com ) and/or fax (718-390-2195). The email and/or fax should contain the following: full name of student, their class/teacher, the name of the person who will pick the child (please make sure they have proper identification). This person must be listed on the EMERGENCY INFORMATION BLUE CARD (DOE policy), concluding with the parent’s signature for identity purposes.
- We cannot release your child to a minor (anyone under the age of 18).
- Early Dismissal (Early Sign-Out): Please send a note, email, fax or phone the main office to let us know you will be picking your child up early from school. To maintain order and to ensure the safety of all children, NO child will be dismissed between 1:45 pm and regular dismissal at 2:20pm (except in cases of emergency). During this time children are summarizing the day and preparing for the following day.
- Parent Lateness at Dismissal: Children who have not been picked up on time will be brought to the auditorium. Parents/caregivers will be required to sign their child out in the “late book” as parent lateness is recorded. Please keep in mind that consistent lateness can be upsetting for the child and is disruptive to the staff. As always, in an emergency, please call the main office and explain your lateness and we will be happy to work with you and care for your child.
- Dismissal during inclement weather only (rain, snow or extreme wind/temperatures):
- Pre-k and Kindergarten students will be dismissed through the playground exit - Door 4.
- First grade students will dismiss through door 2 (right of main entrance - schoolyard side)
- Second grade students will dismiss through door 3 (Ferry side of main entrance)
- Third grade will dismiss through Door 1 (the main entrance)
- Fourth grade will dismiss through door 7 (Ferry side of main entrance)
- Fifth grade will dismiss through the door 8 (playground side of main entrance)
As per department of education COVID 19 safety guidelines, no students or staff will be admitted to the building without completing a daily health screening or who has been found to have fever.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at 718-390-2190.
Please save this link to complete your daily health screening: